Sunday, January 24, 2010

A New Year

I decided once again to dedicate myself to writing in my journal once a week or more. I’ve been feeling compelled to do this more and more lately because I believe I have an important story to tell. I believe things that I experience will be very beneficial to others, especially my future children and grandchildren.

Today was ward conference, and it was focused on making the most out of our current situation and not waiting when we are more settled, or “I’ll be better at this when…” We live in a very transient student married ward where people are in the ward on average for about a year. This makes it very hard to feel like wanting to put in effort to make friends, reach out, and fulfill callings.  President XXXX introduced the topic by sharing a scripture in Doctrine and Covenants given to Bishop Edward Partridge about how even though he may be moving from place to place, he should act as if he would be there for years.  It made me want to do my best to be more involved and live my life to the fullest today.

Another neat thing this morning occurred when I was getting ready for church.  I was preparing tithing which we hadn’t paid for over two months because of the holidays, etc.  I ended up writing a check for over $800.  Most people would scoff at the idea of giving that much to some church and would think I was crazy!  I don’t know exactly why, but I’ve never felt unwilling to pay.  Deep down I realized that I’ve been so blessed by the Lord with school, jobs, money…everything!  It sounds strange but I am grateful to pay tithing and fast offerings because it is one way in many that I can show appreciation and gratitude and further the work of God and his church on the earth.  Every good thing in my life has been linked in some way to the church and the restored gospel.  I can’t afford not to give back.  God gives me my daily breath, I cannot ever repay his love and mercy towards me.  I know that money in itself is not important to the Lord, but tithing has changed and softened my heart and brought me closer to Him.  I’m thankful I could have that private, gentle, spiritual experience as I sat at my desk this morning.

No comments: